Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Indian Wells - The Men

New Zealand's Marina Erakovic may have already lost in the women's event, but that doesn't mean I still can't take an interest in the first masters series event of the year.
Alright, my arm has been twisted and I'm all in on the men's event and the bottom half of the draw in particular. Now there is no point previewing interesting fourth round and quarter final clashes because this means I'd be relying on guys such as Dolgopolov to maintain a certain degree of focus for a minimum of two matches. Yes it can be done and he has done it, but I'm still not laying cash on him being there to face Rafa in the last 16. If on the other hand he was David Ferrer, then I'd go find myself a loan shark and take my chances.
Dolgopolov v Rambo would be interesting but so would Federer v Milos Raonic. They've never met and a slow hardcourt doesn't seem like Raonic's cup of tea but still, he's potentially Del Potro's tag team partner in the 'we serve big and hit even bigger off the ground and scare the s*%t out of you even more' wrestling team for the next five or so years if both can stay healthy so me and everyone else would like to see him face one of the big big boys.
Delusional comment of the week goes to Andy Roddick. The former world number one is seeded 30th in Indian Wells and said something along the lines of, if I was a young kid with this ranking then everyone would be talking about me as an up and comer. I don't know why everyone wants to get rid of me but why should that really bother me because my wife is named Brooklyn Decker and I once got to see her make out with Jennifer Aniston. You figure out what parts of that are true but Andy, c'mon, you're not a young kid and your ranking has been on the slide ever since the 2009 Wimbledon final. You haven't added anything new to your game since then and the vultures are rightly circling your, 'I'm still a threat in the big events' carcass.
Whatever happens, I'm just hoping the weather gets hot enough so that it forces Andy Murray to adopt Ivan Lendl's legionairre cap look.

No comments:

Post a Comment